As a specialist in new markets, Stephen Wunker combines world-class consulting and entrepreneurial skills. He is the author of “Capturing New Markets: How Smart Companies Create Opportunities Others Don’t,” named one of the five best business books of 2011, as well as co-author of the recent book “Jobs to be Done: A Roadmap for Customer Centered Innovation.”
As a consultant, Wunker was a long-term colleague of Harvard Business School Professor Clayton Christensen in building up his innovation consulting practice, Innosight. He also spent several years consulting at Bain & Company in their Boston and London offices. He has led New Markets Advisors since 2009. In that capacity, he publishes frequently in outlets such as Forbes, Harvard Business Review, and The Financial Times. He has also appeared over the years on Bloomberg and BBC television, and has been a guest lecturer at Dartmouth’s Tuck School of Business. As an entrepreneur and corporate venturer, Wunker led the team that created one of the world’s first smartphones, and he subsequently built several companies in mobile marketing and commerce. He has an MBA from Harvard Business School, a Master’s of Public Administration from Columbia University, and a bachelor’s degree from Princeton University. He has lived in the US, UK, Netherlands, Japan, Ecuador, and Zambia.
New Markets Advisors
Shaun McBride, aka Shonduras, is an artist, entrepreneur and a self-described “professional fun haver.” His Snapchat account is known by brands, social media celebrities and agencies as a Snapchat pioneer.
After setting up a successful online jewelry business through Facebook, Shaun began sharing his artwork and daily adventures on Snapchat in 2014 and organically grew a viral following, becoming the platform’s first homegrown celebrity. He has since gone on to conquer YouTube, where he vlogs daily for his more than 937,000 subscribers. He was also recently named to Forbes 30 Under 30 list.
Shaun has helped some of the nation’s biggest brands—including Disney, AT&T, Samsung, Red Bull, Taco Bell, Yoplait and AMC—tell their story in a fun, engaging way.
Using creative illustrations to communicate with the world, Shaun highlights the importance of having a positive outlook, no matter what life throws at us.
Snapchat Pioneer and Entrepreneur
Doug Busk is responsible for setting the vision and evolution of the Coca-Cola Journey and Coca-Cola Unbottled storytelling platforms, aggressively expanding these platforms to new markets and languages, growing and evolving Coca-Cola’s corporate social media channels, leading the development and execution of digital training and capability-building for global public affairs and leading a high-performing social & digital team.
Doug is also responsible for initiatives that empower the company’s marketers worldwide to connect with consumers on a real-time basis and the supporting global social listening and engagement strategy, platforms and the team of 18 social media professionals that drive them.
Previously, Doug held business development and product marketing executive roles with Amdocs and SinglePoint. Over the 2008 presidential election cycle, Doug served as the outside strategic advisor to the landmark mobile efforts of the Obama campaign. Prior to that, Doug led product management and development for Verizon Wireless and Cingular. While with Verizon, he led the creation of the country’s first cross-carrier non-profit fundraising capability via text messaging, which, in 2010, resulted in over $40 million of funds raised for the Red Cross’ 2010 Haiti earthquake relief efforts.
Global Group Director, Digital Communications & Social Media
Monday, May 22
Rather than leave it to chance that your PR and marketing messages are reaching their intended audience over your competitors, attend this pre-conference workshop and learn how to make Google’s vast and growing suite of tools and applications work for you. This workshop will grow more advanced as it proceeds, beginning with the basics and ending with a master class.
Our SEO trainers will cover these topics and more:
- Understanding Google’s latest search engine optimization (SEO) ranking factors and how they affect the success of your daily communications efforts
- How to write for Google search
- Establishing a process for structuring content that gets traction
- Analyzing your site to determine whether it is optimized for search
- Advanced techniques: How to use the latest tools to uncover new SEO opportunities
This workshop is designed for marketers, communicators, leaders in customers service, research and sales and anyone who believes that to shake up the way you communicate with your customer, you need to understand what your customer is doing and why. Attend this pre-conference workshop and learn:
- The ins and outs of customer journey mapping
- New ways of mapping your customers across social channels and gain a better understanding of their behaviors
- How to develop a strategy roadmap to address identified customer experience challenges
- How customer journey maps can be developed for an entire customer lifecycle
- How to use customer journey maps for a single interaction at a single touchpoint
- How to use customer journey maps to develop an end-to-end experience for a brand new product
We’re going to teach you a proven six-step process to building the business case for community that’s centered on achieving business impact and competitive advantage. We will also offer insight into ways you can spotlight potential returns and benefits, and help you explore how to best secure executive support and demonstrate operational opportunities.
In this workshop, you will learn:
Find out what’s shaking and who’s attending this year’s event at the opening night party for The Social Shake-Up community! You’ll meet new people, reunite with friends and colleagues, enjoy Southern fare and get a taste of the signature drink of the 2017 Social Shake-Up.
The Dutch Dine-Around is a fun way to network with your fellow Shakers all while enjoying the tasty food Atlanta is known for. As this is a “Dutch” dinner, each participant is required to pay for his or her meal.
Tuesday, May 23
Shake off the sleep in your eyes, and come out for a beautiful city walk with your peers. No registration required – just your willingness to put on your walking shoes and get your muscles warmed up for a great day of learning and networking.
Bagels, eggs and yogurt? Check.
Juice and smoothies? Check.
Cereal and sausage? Check.
Bloody Marys? Sorry.
Finding a table with new friends? Check.
More coffee? Check
Join us for a buffet-style breakfast before we officially kick off The Social Shake-Up 2017.
The Honorable Kwanza Hall of the Atlanta City Council will welcome us to the city and kick off the Social Shake-Up. Then we’ll hear from entrepreneur Stephen Wunker, author of “Capturing New Markets: How Smart Companies Create Opportunities Others Don’t,” and co-author of “Jobs to be Done: A Roadmap for Customer Centered Innovation.” Among his many accomplishments, Wunker led the team that created one of the world’s first smartphones, and he subsequently built several companies in mobile marketing and commerce. You won’t want to miss this opening address.
Snapchat has more than 100 million users each day, with at least 60% of the smartphone users being between the ages of 13 and 34 years. It’s one of the hottest, but most complex, networks out there. From geofilters to Memories to Story Explorer and more, creating a content strategy requires creativity, authenticity and innovation.
Some of the cool things you’ll learn at this session include:
- Secrets to using Story, Influencers, geofilters, Snap to Unlock and other features
- Employing cross-promotion tactics to build followers
- How to engage Snapchat influencers for your brand
- Using Snapchat for sneak peeks at your brand
- Measuring your success on Snapchat
Are you producing enough video and is it resonating with your audience? More than a billion people watch countless hours of video every day. Google has YouTube Live, Amazon has Twitch, Facebook has Facebook Live, Twitter has Periscope and Tumblr has teamed up with other platforms to allow livestreaming videos.
At this session, you’ll learn:
- How each platform works and which features are important to understand
- How to determine what kind of equipment you’ll need based on the level of production value
- How to create livestreaming videos that resonate with your target audience
- Real-world examples of livestreaming success stories and duds
- Reality check: Measuring the impact of your video against your business goals
Facebook has gone on record with its top three business priorities: Capitalize on the shift to mobile; increase the number of brand marketers using its ad products; and make Facebook ads more relevant and effective. Nearly 75% of Facebook’s revenue comes from mobile advertising, which is why the company has squelched brands’ organic reach.
Our experts will teach you:
- How to develop a cost-effective video strategy for Facebook, and find ideas for short-form videos
- How to buy smart on Facebook by focusing on what you want people to do and what your business goals are
- How to align your content strategy with the shift to mobile
- Develop engaging content first, weave in brand positioning second, for both paid and organic posts
- Create eye-popping Facebook ads that strike the right balance between visuals and text
Stop by the Relaxation Bar for strawberry and mango smoothies, a scoopful of healthy fare and network with your fellow social media practitioners. Also during this break, take time to meet the technology partners that can fuel your digital initiatives. As an added bonus, take a visit to the Minute Clinic where you can ask an expert any social media question that might be keeping you up at night.
During this session, we’ll share some of the most impressive content marketing strategies among your brand peers and how you, too, can take your digital storytelling to a level that really shakes things up.
Our experts will share:
- The new rules of storytelling
- Ways to create authentic and creative content
- Tips on developing a multi-platform content strategy
- How to manage the content distribution process
- Editorial calendars you can use as templates for your own content marketing strategy
- How to integrate video organically with your posts and messaging
- Developing a mobile content plan that converts
- Tracking ROI from your content marketing efforts
- Partnering with the right media outlets and avoiding the traps
If your job is to support your brand’s business goals by communicating with stakeholders on Twitter, it’s on you to prove that this work is paying off with business results and that it’s tied to your overall marketing and communications strategy.
Among the topics we’ll cover during this highly interactive session include:
- Examples of brands hitting it out of the park with their Twitter strategy
- Identifying influencers and effectively engaging with them on this platform
- Establishing business goals for paid Twitter posts and using tools to prove ROI
- Setting measurable goals for your paid and organic Twitter strategy
- Leveraging Twitter’s promoted tweets to maximize engagement and awareness
- Using long-form direct messages to communicate with your customers, members and general followers
- Using Twitter’s promoted Stickers
- Developing a smarter integrated social strategy that includes Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and more
The average engagement per Instagram post has grown by 416% over the last two years. Is Instagram right for your brand? If it is, you’ve got to find time to keep pace with its new features, and given the rate of innovation, it’s not surprising that so many brands can’t keep up with the changes. We’ll tackle these two topics and more during this interactive session.
In this session, you’ll learn:
- How to engage with your Instagram community with visually compelling stories
- How to prove ROI on this platform
- Ways to use Instagram’s direct message feature to grow your brand
- How to creatively and effectively use Instagram Stories
- Use creative takeovers as an integral part of your influencer strategy
Director of Digital
Vice President, Public Relations and Social Media
Brownstein Group (United States)
Manager, Digital Communications and Social Media
Northrop Grumman Corporation
Sr. Director, HR Strategy and Implementation
Rehydrate, connect with your fellow attendees and speakers and learn a thing or two in the Partner Marketplace.
We’re bringing the Shake-Up community together for this general session because everyone attending needs to master the true art of storytelling on social. Doug Busk, global group director, digital communications & social media at The Coca-Cola Company will discuss Coca-Cola Journey’s content amplification strategy and key success measures across its social channels.
This session will discuss:
- How to discover the core of your narrative
- What makes a compelling story
- The importance of being creative and authentic
- Pitfalls to avoid
- Real-life examples of compelling narratives and ones that failed to connect
We’ve lined up two off-site activities for you to choose from, and we’re hoping you’ll partake in the opportunity to check out Atlanta with your Shake-Up peers!
- Ponce City Market & Office Hop: Join us for a tour of this Atlanta gem, the Ponce City Market, which is chock-full of shops, restaurants and Atlanta-based companies with innovative digital strategies: Howstuffworks, General Assembly, Twitter and MailChimp.
- Yoga: Looking for some flexibility in your life? Join your peers for Downward Dog and Savasana during this relaxing yoga session. Namaste!
Cap off a busy day of networking and learning at our rooftop party at the top of the W. Light bites and drinks will be served, as you reconnect with peers and make new friends.
Wednesday, May 24
In this session you’re going to learn the basics of mindfulness and how to apply them in a realistic way in your technology-filled life. We’ll explore tactics to balance the needs of your job with your desire to finally make it to the gym. You’ll leave armed with realistic strategies you can use to decrease stress and reduce the likelihood of burnout. It might be early, but it will be worth it.
Start your day with a hearty breakfast and straight talk from Millennials themselves as we bring together a group of 18- to 34-year-olds to share their social media habits, how they view brands likes yours and what they think is the next big thing in digital.
Head of Social & Content Marketing, Digital Marketing
Social Media Specialist
Delta Air Lines
Public Affairs Senior Media Specialist
Senior Consultant, Voice of Customer InterContinental Hotels Group
Senior Digital Account Strategist
YouTube videos are a great way to connect with and expand your audience, but your content needs to be catchy, creative and engaging. Come to this session to view YouTube content that works, and learn how your brand can use video to great effect.
In this session we’ll:
- Show examples of brands that have effectively produced high-impact video
- Teach how to create a compelling and cost-effective video strategy for YouTube
- Provide the only tips you’ll need to optimize your YouTube videos with keywords, title tags and descriptions to make your content easier to find
- Illustrate how to make better use of YouTube Analytics to stay on top of your video strategy
- Show how to repurpose existing video content for YouTube
- Help you maximize your ROI on YouTube and other video platforms
Grab a cup of joe and mingle with your social peers. The Minute Clinics will be in session so you can ask an expert a social media question or two.
Learn what separates brands that use social for all touchpoints from those that use it just for customer care or marketing messages. You’ll get case studies from forward-facing organizations whose customer communities deliver powerful strategic value.
- What digital competitive advantage means to brands
- How online communities work
- Identifying obstacles to success (and the methods to overcome)
- How brands plan to leverage digital engagement and communities to impact business in the future
- The measures and metrics being used to track the impact of communities on sales, services, marketing, supply chain, product development, partner and client relationships and buyer journeys
While social has been a catalyst in breaking down the silos among sales, PR and marketing teams, there are still logistical and budgetary considerations to be worked out. If you’re going to shake things up in your organization, it most likely begins with how you address your sales, marketing and PR structure.
- What an integrated communications team looks like
- The key to developing an integrated budget for your digital campaigns
- How to deploy resources effectively
- Secrets to a successful division of labor while fostering collaboration
- Examples of innovative and disruptive campaigns from a combined PR and marketing staff
Over half of Americans believe companies should engage around issues of socio-political relevance. This session will explore ways in which brands are raising awareness of social issues, taking stands and engaging their audience on behalf of specific causes. We’ll look at the wins and the mistakes.
In this case study you’ll learn:
- What’s needed to create a socially and culturally relevant campaign without pandering
- The key questions to ask before taking a stand
- Real-life examples of campaigns that have succeeded and those that missed the mark
- How to back the campaign with meaningful actiont
Gather in the main room for delicious Southern fare and engaging conversation with your peers on what’s shaking up the future of social.
In this session, you’ll first learn how to define and identify influencers in your market. Then we’ll show you how to effectively communicate to influencers across the social platforms.
Real-world influencers and their brand partners will discuss:
- Potential pitfalls to influencer campaigns
- Influencers’ big pet peeves
- Different models of compensation
- Legal considerations
- What works—and what doesn’t—when creating an Influencer social campaign
- Real-world examples of successful influencer campaigns
Learn what it takes for bloggers and podcasters to shake up perceptions of their brand – and what success looks like in business terms.
Our experts will discuss:
- Researching and organizing your blog strategy and determining what will make your blog content interesting and discoverable
- Designing your blog with your user in mind
- Determining post frequency and management
- Choosing the appropriate platform for your brand’s blog
- Tumblr: Do’s and Don’ts
- How to determine if podcasting is right for your brand
- Cost-effective podcasting tools
- Distribution strategies
- How to develop a measurement strategy for your blogs and podcasts
Choose among topics decided in advance by you, the attendee, for this one-hour roundtable session moderated by our distinguished speaker faculty where you’ll get to pick 3 topics to brainstorm with your peers.
Among the topics:
- Building the Digital A-Team
- Social on a shoestring budget
- Media Relations in the social age
- Paid social
- Marketing automation
- Video secrets
- SMB strategies
- Strategies for nonprofits
- Employee advocacy
Each roundtable will last 15 minutes and you pick three!
Raise a glass to celebrate new friendships, new business contacts, and all of the new knowledge and insights you’ve acquired at The Social Shake-Up 2017.