Monday, May 6
Live video storytelling strategies are critical for marketers to communicate more authentically with audiences, cultivating a loyal following of video content lovers. But achieving the spontaneity audiences crave means planning for any and all contingencies, while allocating resources creatively—all while tying your broadcasts to marketing goals.
In this interactive workshop, we’ll dive into the process of planning to go live and the the tools needed to plan, execute and measure the success of a live stream. Attendees will have the chance to develop a plan for and shoot their own brief live broadcast while preparing for any mishaps.
In this workshop, you’ll learn:
- Tactics for driving engagement on a live stream
- Which platforms (e.g., Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, Snapchat) work best for different communications goals
- Lessons, mistakes and wins brands have taken away from previous broadcasts
- Tactics for successful Facebook Live broadcasts on a shoestring budget with a skeleton crew
- Pros and cons of promoting long in advance vs. using data to pick the perfect time and frequency to broadcast without warning
- How to plan for every contingency whether you’re streaming live from an industry event or corporate HQ
Join your Shake-Up peers for this opening night gathering featuring delicious Southern fare and fun conversations with long-time friends and new connections. You’ll also get a first-time look at the Shake-Up partners offering terrific solutions for your social media challenges.
Dine with your peers at the restaurant of your choice, then come back to the hotel and join us for a nightcap at the hotel bar. The dine-arounds are optional, of course, but what better way to network with your peers than to break bread with them on opening night?
Tuesday, May 7
Start your day off with tasty breakfast treats including pastries, fresh fruit and more.
Sure, you could wander the Marketplace on your own, aimlessly. Or you could take the inside track position and join our 30-minute Marketplace Tour, where we'll introduce you to our curated roster of partners and vendors, picking up critical market intelligence on the way.
Our supercharged emcee Brian Fanzo, CEO of iSocialFanz, will welcome you with more Shake-aways than you can count. You’ll want to grab a seat early for this one! Directly following, a surprise industry leader will give our opening keynote.
Instagram is the fastest-growing social media channel for users and brands, with over 25 million business profiles on the platform. But how can your brand stand out from the ever-growing crowd? Hear how smart marketers have made the most of the latest offerings from Instagram and Instagram Stories to engage audiences, spark conversations and tie campaigns back to business objectives.
You’ll learn how to:
- Determine the types of content (video, photos, gifs, cinemagraphs, etc.) and posting cadence that boost engagement
- Choose KPIs at the outset of campaigns to ensure you’re tying successes to ROI
- Set up your profile for Shoppable posts in Instagram and Instagram Stories
- Leverage Instagram Live, IGTV and Instagram Videos to drive conversations, meaningful engagements and conversions
In a perfect world, influencers and brands would work together harmoniously, but all too often an influencer-brand relationship can turn dysfunctional. In this session, we’ll talk to leading influencers and the brands they partner with to find out what works, what doesn’t, and how to manage expectations on both sides of the equation.
You’ll learn how to:
- Find and build rapport with ambassadors who are best suited for your brand
- Focus on the metrics that matter most in selecting influencers
- Come up with quid-pro-quo arrangements that don’t necessarily include a dollar sign
- Set realistic KPIs to measure return on influencer investment
- Decide whether to work with an influencer agency, or interface with influencers directly
- Determine how hands-on or hands-off to be with your influencer as they create content
Who are you trying to reach online, and what do they want most? Many brands dream of hitting that 10,000 follower Instagram benchmark or surpassing a million email subscribers, yet forget to ask those simple, crucial questions. Whether crowdsourcing ideas for new offerings and services or using AI and machine learning to make the most of customer data, marketers have myriad tools at their disposal for knowing and thereby growing their audiences. We'll also look at emerging technologies and their role in generating leads for marketing and sales.
You’ll learn how to:
- Move away from “push” marketing tactics to make your online channels a place for spotlighting the audience rather than the brand
- Ask your audience the right questions to crowdsource ideas
- Employ social listening tools and tactics to better understand potential customers
- Tie LinkedIn efforts to lead generation
- Build up your online community for peer-to-peer endorsement
While Twitter has become a partisan home for bots, trolls and public outrage, it’s also a crucial tool for social marketers in starting and driving conversations that matter most to audiences. But doing so requires the strategic placement of visual posts, Twitter ads, targeted hashtags and a working knowledge of how search works on Twitter. This session will offer best-in-class examples of how to get a crowd talking about your brand and associated issues.
You’ll learn how to:
- Create videos and images that command attention on Twitter
- Leverage targeted interest areas to grow your following
- Translate native analytics into better content
- Inject humor and personality into your brand’s account
- Pack priority messaging into 280 characters
- Make the most of Promoted posts
The smart marketer these days doesn't just create content for creation's sake, but maps it to brand goals including lead generation, awareness and sales. And the most resourceful content marketing plans focus not only on content generation, but on repurposing and distributing it as evergreen material. In this session, we’ll cover what constitutes a best-of-class content marketing strategy.
- How to source thought leaders and contributors inside and outside your organization
- Ways to avoid being “salesy” while advocating for your products and services
- Writing tips to make your content fun-to-read, shareable and useful
- How to incorporate video and images into your content marketing strategy
Paid and organic strategies are a critical part of every marketer's toolbox. And while the social landscape has increasingly shifted toward a paid model, there’s no reason to throw money at a campaign without content strong enough to support your campaign goals. In this session you'll hear from experts who have mastered the art of balancing paid and organic strategies, even on a tight budget.
You’ll learn how to:
- Decide which posts make sense for your business to boost
- Decide between canvas, video, carousel and other ad formats on Facebook and Instagram
- Use new features including Offers and Instant Experience to optimize your paid reach on Facebook
- Craft highly shareable content that your target audience will spread to their own networks
- Build an organic content marketing strategy that works around Facebook’s algorithm change
- Develop a cross-platform strategy and distribution process
- Leverage native platform data and A/B testing to ensure your budget is being used wisely
Break bread with fellow attendees over a keynote lunch that will inspire and energize you for the rest of your Shake-Up journey.
YouTube is the world’s go-to platform for video, not to mention the second-largest search engine after Google. But brands often use it as a video library rather than a strategic messaging channel. In this session you'll learn how to maximize the capabilities of the platform to showcase your brand and grow your audience.
You'll learn how to:
- Create engaging and relevant YouTube content that demands action from viewers
- Make the most of native YouTube Analytics
- Optimize for search on YouTube
- Define what ROI means for your YouTube channel
- Craft better thumbnails and metadata
- Increase traffic to your YouTube channel
Continue making connections with other Shakers during these fun offsite activities the Shake-Up team has organized!
>>Visit the World of Coca-Cola, Georgia Aquarium, Center for Civil & Human Rights, College Football Hall of Fame or do a CNN tour.
>>Cooking Class: Create a tasty dish with Atlanta roots and share great conversation with other Shakers while doing it!
>>Ponce City Market Visit: Explore this redesigned, historic site filled with shops, restaurants and the coolest offices in the Atlanta area.
>>Escape Room: Get ready for an unforgettable experience with your Shaker friends! You’ll be locked in a room with a team of Shakers and use clues to get out.
Shake up your night at PULSE for drinks and conversation with your peers
Wednesday, May 8
Start your day off with an invigorating yoga practice.
The last day of Shake-Up starts with a breakfast for the senses! Grab a bite and take some snaps at our Donut Wall, then increase your java IQ at our coffee tasting, hosted by The Shake-Up Show's coffee sommelier.
In a world where the written word is increasingly replaced by images and video, there’s no question that visual storytelling is a crucial skill for social media communicators. Content creators must produce great visuals—or at the very least, be able to direct visual artists and videographers effectively. In this session you'll learn how to develop a visual narrative around your brand’s messaging priorities.
- Industry examples of successful video and photo campaigns that drove audiences to take action
- Affordable tools and tricks for capturing effective video content on a smartphone
- The latest trends in live video strategy
- How to storyboard a brief video for social vs. a longform campaign video
- Strategies for coordinating with and directing videographers and photographers
- How to manage talent (influencers, brand ambassadors, executives) to ensure they’re camera-ready and on-message
Grab a bite to eat and stop by the Yard for fun and games or the Ask Me Anything stage to, well, ask our experts just about anything (related to social media).
Snapchat has been first-to-market in terms of e-commerce on social, offering shoppers the ability to purchase new products (and in some cases, virtually try them on), as well as integrating with Amazon via the Visual Search feature. In this session, you'll hear from experts who have used Snapchat to drive direct purchases for their brands, as well as engaging and growing their existing audiences on the platform.
- Ways to convert your Snapchat followers into shoppers
- Tactics for leveraging Snap Maps
- Where to find the most valuable analytics natively
- The scope and budget needed for unskippable ads
- How Shoppable Snap ads work on the platform
- Strategies for working between marketing and sales teams to effectively drive sales and engagement on social
- How to measure the success of e-commerce campaigns on Snapchat
SEO's importance in determining your brand’s reputation can't be overstated. And to rank on page one, your site content must convince the search engine’s ever-changing algorithm that your brand is the authority for your industry. In this session, our panel of SEO experts will teach you how to maintain online properties that have the potential to shine in Google search—and that aren’t penalized for missing the mark.
You’ll learn how to:
- Choose what metrics to track in Google Analytics and Google Data Studio
- Determine whether AMP is a fit for your brand
- Sleuth why people are leaving your website
- Align your website metadata and content with Google’s algorithm
- Understand and enhance the user experience of your mobile site
- Optimize your site and keywords for voice search
- Amp up the speed, quality and appearance of your site for higher ranking
Meet this year’s Movers & Shakers, the marketers and communicators killing it on social media and beyond. Then, sit back and relax as our keynote takes you on a very special journey that’ll inspire and entertain.
In today's polarized online environment, your brand can no longer afford to stay on the sidelines. The stakes for playing it safe are higher than ever before, as increasingly more brands dive into the issues of the day. Making a brand statement doesn't need to be a campaign endorsement, but if you want your brand to stand for something authentically—and make sure it will stay standing—there are some key things to keep in mind.
Our panel of strategists will discuss:
- How to determine what issues are suitable for your brand to weigh in on
- What to do if and when your brand faces backlash from stakeholders for making a bold statement
- Working to ensure your company reflects its stated values in internally
- Inspire social followers and advocates to join and spread your message and movement
The Shake-Up continues its tradition of closing out the show with a roundtable of top influencers shaking up social. We've gathered a diverse set of sought-after influencers who will share their secret sauce for engagement, innovation and online commerce. Brands will get a final unvarnished look at what makes a successful partnership from an influencer's point of view. This is one of our most popular sessions—so be sure to schedule your return flight with time to spare.
This panel will include:
- The biggest brand turnoffs from influencers’ point of view
- How and why influencers sign onto campaigns
- What influencers are looking for in a campaign contract
- Examples of influencers’ best unpaid partnerships in recent memory
- Where influencers see their field going in 2020 and beyond
- The Shake-Up’s biggest group selfie yet—influencers included!
Let’s not say goodbye; just “see you soon”!