Monday, May 6
Live video storytelling strategies are critical for marketers to communicate more authentically with audiences, cultivating a loyal following of video content lovers. But achieving the spontaneity audiences crave means planning for any and all contingencies, while allocating resources creatively—all while tying your broadcasts to marketing goals.
In this interactive workshop, we’ll dive into the process of planning to go live and the the tools needed to plan, execute and measure the success of a live stream. Attendees will have the chance to develop a plan for and shoot their own brief live broadcast while preparing for any mishaps.
In this workshop, you’ll learn:
• Tactics for driving engagement on a live stream
• Which platforms (e.g., Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, Snapchat) work best for different communications goals
• Lessons, mistakes and wins brands have taken away from previous broadcasts
• Tactics for successful Facebook Live broadcasts on a shoestring budget with a skeleton crew
• Pros and cons of promoting long in advance vs. using data to pick the perfect time and frequency to broadcast without warning
• How to plan for every contingency whether you’re streaming live from an industry event or corporate HQ
Join our design experts for this hands-on training where you’ll learn how to create take-notice images for your audience that you can easily share on social to drive engagement and tell your brand’s story. You’ll leave this session with your own designs you can post immediately.
Join your Shake-Up peers and winners of this year’s Movers & Shakers Awards, the marketers and communicators killing it on social for this opening night gathering. Enjoy delicious Southern fare and fun conversations with long-time friends and new connections. You’ll also get a first-time look at the Shake-Up partners offering terrific solutions for your social media challenges.
Dine with your peers at the restaurant of your choice, then come back to the hotel and join us for a nightcap at the hotel bar. The dine-arounds are optional, of course, but what better way to network with your peers than to break bread with them on opening night?
Tuesday, May 7
Start your day off with tasty breakfast treats including pastries, fresh fruit and more.
Sure, you could wander the Marketplace on your own, aimlessly. Or you could take the inside track position and join our 30-minute Marketplace Tour, where we’ll introduce you to our curated roster of partners and vendors, picking up critical market intelligence on the way.
Instagram is the fastest-growing social media channel for users and brands, with over 25 million business profiles on the platform. But how can your brand stand out from the ever-growing crowd? Hear how smart marketers have made the most of the latest offerings from Instagram and Instagram Stories to engage audiences, spark conversations and tie campaigns back to business objectives.
You’ll learn how to:
• Determine the types of content (video, photos, gifs, cinemagraphs, etc.) and posting cadence that boost engagement
• Choose KPIs at the outset of campaigns to ensure you’re tying successes to ROI
• Set up your profile for Shoppable posts in Instagram and Instagram Stories
• Leverage Instagram Live, IGTV and Instagram Videos to drive conversations, meaningful engagements and conversions
Corporate brands have been in the influencer business for quite some time but as nonprofits and B2Bs flirting with influencer marketing in heavily regulated industries embrace the practice, stakes can be higher if the relationship goes south.
In this session we’ll talk to influencers–from the nanos to entrepreneurs with large followings–and the brands they partner with to discuss what works, what doesn’t and how to manage expectations on both sides of the equation.
You’ll learn how to:
• Find and build rapport with ambassadors who are best
suited for your brand
• Focus on the metrics that matter most in selecting influencers
• Come up with quid-pro-quo arrangements that don’t necessarily include a dollar sign
• Set realistic KPIs to measure return on influencer investment
• Decide whether to work with an influencer agency, or interface with influencers directly
• Determine how hands-on or hands-off to be with your influencer as they create content
Who are you trying to reach online, and what do they want most? Many brands dream of hitting that 10,000 follower Instagram benchmark or surpassing a million email subscribers, yet forget to ask those simple, crucial questions. Whether crowdsourcing ideas for new offerings and services or using AI and machine learning to make the most of customer data, marketers have myriad tools at their disposal for knowing and thereby growing their audiences. We’ll also look at emerging technologies and their role in generating leads for marketing and sales.
You’ll learn how to:
• Move away from “push” marketing tactics to make your online channels a place for spotlighting the audience rather than the brand
• Determine what social media channels aren’t right for your brand and what metrics should go into the decision to roll up shop
• Ask your audience the right questions to crowdsource ideas
• Employ social listening tools and tactics to better understand potential customers
• Tie LinkedIn efforts to lead generation
• Build up your online community for peer-to-peer endorsement
Hear from speaker, author and mentor Carrie Wilkerson on how to ensure you allow for self-care, even in a profession that moves at the speed of digital.
Carrie will cover:
- Keeping your sanity and allowing for margin to breathe—even when you’re hustling!
- How to ensure you’re charging your worth and earning your keep on the job
- Creating boundaries that make you happier, healthier and even wealthier!
- Creating your own definition of ‘success’ and being unapologetic for it
The smart marketer these days doesn’t just create content for creation’s sake, but maps it to brand goals including lead generation, awareness and sales. And the most resourceful content marketing plans focus not only on content generation, but on repurposing and distributing it as evergreen material. In this session, we’ll cover what constitutes a best-of-class content marketing strategy.
• How to source thought leaders and contributors inside and outside your organization
• Ways to avoid being “salesy” while advocating for your products and services
• Writing tips to make your content fun-to-read, shareable and useful
• How to incorporate video, images and podcasting into your content marketing strategy
• Craft highly shareable content that your target audience will share with their own networks
• Decide between canvas, video, carousel and other ad formats on Facebook and Instagram
• Develop a cross-platform strategy and distribution process
While Twitter has become a partisan home for bots, trolls and public outrage, it’s also a crucial tool for social marketers in starting and driving conversations that matter most to audiences. But doing so requires the strategic placement of visual posts, Twitter ads, targeted hashtags and a working knowledge of how search works on Twitter. This session will offer best-in-class examples of how to get a crowd talking about your brand and associated issues.
You’ll learn how to:
• Create videos and images that command attention on Twitter
• Leverage targeted interest areas to grow your following
• Translate native analytics into better content
• Inject humor and personality into your brand’s account
• Pack priority messaging into 280 characters
• Make the most of Promoted posts
From ideation to measurement, your content has an equal chance of growing into a successful campaign, or fizzling out long before building the desired momentum. In this brief session, we’ll look at tools to help you better ideate, schedule and measure your content.
Our Falcon.io speaker will cover:
- How to take content from an idea to a scheduled piece of content
- Best practices for measuring engagement
- Improving workflow for video publishing
- Incorporating a social inbox into your workflow
Amir Farokhi, Atlanta City Councilman, will proclaim May 6, 2019 as the beginning of The Social Shake-Up Show Week in the city of Atlanta.
YouTube is the world’s go-to platform for video, not to mention the second-largest search engine after Google. But brands often use it as a video library rather than a strategic messaging channel. In this session you’ll learn how to maximize the capabilities of the platform to showcase your brand and grow your audience.
You’ll learn how to:
• Create engaging and relevant YouTube content that demands action from viewers
• Make the most of native YouTube Analytics
• Optimize for search on YouTube
• Define what ROI means for your YouTube channel
• Craft better thumbnails and metadata
• Increase traffic to your YouTube channel
SEO’s importance in determining your brand’s reputation can’t be overstated. And to rank on page one, your site content must convince the search engine’s ever-changing algorithm that your brand is the authority for your industry. In this session, our panel of SEO experts will teach you how to maintain online properties that have the potential to shine in Google search—and that aren’t penalized for missing the mark.
You’ll learn how to:
• Choose what metrics to track in Google Analytics and Google Data Studio
• Determine whether AMP is a fit for your brand
• Sleuth why people are leaving your website
• Align your website metadata and content with Google’s algorithm
• Understand and enhance the user experience of your mobile site
• Optimize your site and keywords for voice search
• Amp up the speed, quality and appearance of your site for higher ranking
Continue making connections with other attendees during these fun activities the Shake-Up team has organized!
>> (4:00–5:515 p.m.) Andrew Davis’s Storytelling Secrets: Andrew returns to share his best storytelling techniques with a few of his new Shaker friends (space limited).
>>Visit the World of Coca-Cola, Georgia Aquarium, Center for Civil & Human Rights, College Football Hall of Fame or do a CNN tour.
>>History Pub Crawl: This tour will give you the best of both worlds. You will get to enjoy 4 stops of both cocktails and rich Atlanta history. You get to pedal to the M L King Center, Ebenezer Baptist Church and Oakland Cemetery! You also pedal to 2 fantastic bars to boot!
>>Cooking Class: Create a tasty dish with Atlanta roots and share great conversation with other Shakers while doing it!
>>Ponce City Market Visit: Explore this redesigned, historic site filled with shops, restaurants and the coolest offices in the Atlanta area.
Shake up your night at PULSE for drinks and conversation with your peers.
Wednesday, May 8
Start your day off with an invigorating, All-Levels yoga practice, incorporating flow and deep stretch. This session won’t be too rigorous—just enough movement to get your body going and a few breathing techniques to elevate your energy.
Programmatic advertising is not new, but as machine learning becomes more sophisticated, it is becoming an effective tool for social media marketers. With social media platforms being treasure troves of data about their users, platforms are increasingly engaging marketers directly, effectively becoming demand-side platforms themselves. One thing standing in the way of social media pros harnessing the potential of programmatic is the process itself.
We will cover:
- The “walled gardens” of the Big 6 social media platforms and why they are more effective at programmatic
- Using programmatic to prove the ROI of social media investment
- How social and paid media teams can work together to develop metrics and create more effective social campaigns
- The ins and outs of real-time bidding (RTB) and exchanges
- Header bidding
- Developing a brand safety policy for vendor and agency partners
Grab a bite to eat and stop by the Yard for fun and games or the Ask Me Anything stage to, well, ask our experts just about anything (related to social media).
Emerging technology continues to impact the way we do work on a daily basis. In this session, we’ll focus on how top brands are utilizing voice search, AI, AR, and blockchain—and what industries are likely to transform the fastest as a result of these new technologies. This session will make you just dangerous enough to hold a discussion with key stakeholders, be it the C-Suite, customers and clients.
• Determining a ballpark budget for resources needed to integrate AI into your marketing function
• DIY solutions for AR social posts (including 360-degree and VR social content)
• How blockchain can strengthen payment processes, supply chain management, overall security and increase customer trust as a result
• The skill set and talent needed to integrate voice search into your SEO program
In today’s polarized online environment, your brand can no longer afford to stay on the sidelines. The stakes for playing it safe are higher than ever before, as increasingly more brands dive into the issues of the day. Making a brand statement doesn’t need to be a campaign endorsement, but if you want your brand to stand for something authentically—and make sure it will stay standing—there are some key things to keep in mind.
Our panel of strategists will discuss:
• How to determine what issues are suitable for your brand to weigh in on
• What to do if and when your brand faces backlash from stakeholders for making a bold statement
• Working to ensure your company reflects its stated values in internally
• Inspire social followers and advocates to join and spread your message and movement
• When staying silent can harm your brand
The Shake-Up continues its tradition of closing out the show with a Main Stage roundtable of top influencers shaking up social. We’ve gathered a diverse set of sought-after influencers who will share their secret sauce for engagement, innovation and online commerce. Brands will get a final unvarnished look at what makes a successful partnership from an influencer’s point of view. This is one of our most popular sessions—so be sure to schedule your return flight with time to spare.
This panel will include:
• The biggest brand turnoffs from influencers’ point of view
• How and why influencers sign onto campaigns
• What influencers are looking for in a campaign contract
• Examples of influencers’ best unpaid partnerships in recent memory
• Where influencers see their field going in 2020 and beyond
• The Shake-Up’s biggest group selfie yet—influencers included!
Close out the Social Shake-Up Show with a keynote talk from digital marketing pioneer, writer and speaker Ann Handley. You’ll come away inspired to create marketing magic that gets real-world results.
Let’s not say goodbye; just “see you soon”!